The new Lenexa City Center Library opened its doors to the public on Sunday, June 2!
According to Library Board chair Bethany Griffith, “This is a really striking and beautiful facility. And we are eager to invite our patrons in so people can start using their new Library right away.”
The new 40,000 square foot building occupies two floors at the Lenexa City Center campus. In addition to high-quality library services, the new space features public meeting rooms, public computers and a robust children’s programming area.
Fast Facts about Lenexa City Center Library
Construction cost: $21.1 million
Size: 40,000+ sq. ft.
• Dedicated space for storytime and other children’s programming
• A Drive-Thru service window in the adjacent parking garage
• A Holds Lobby that will be open from 5 a.m. to 10 p.m., 365 days a year
• An atrium for guest speakers and events, featuring stunning mosaics by local artist, Stephen T. Johnson
• A variety of seating, 20 PC workstations, as well as multiple charging areas
• Dedicated gathering space and workstations for teens
• Exterior balcony with seating and device power
• 6 meeting/study rooms, including a 36-person meeting room, with wireless A/V
Collection size: 71,000 on Opening Day
• 30,000 Kids, all formats
• 15,000 Adult Fiction, print
• 12,000 Adult Non-fiction, print
• 2600 Teen
• 3000 Adult CD Audio
• 2500 Music CDs
• 5900 DVDs
• Wi-Fi access
• 20 PC workstations
• Power at seats, work stations and balcony
• Wireless AV in Study Rooms
The Library was designed to seamlessly fit into the Lenexa City Center plaza and public market. Its unique design incorporates a large roof with an overhang to provide shade, and limestone terrace seating is built into the exterior landscaping.